Seasoned Advice Asked on December 18, 2020
My friend (who lives in a warm, humid climate) often has issues with chocolate, due to the formation of a light-colored coating on it. I believe it is just chocolate bloom, but she thinks it’s mold and should trash the chocolate. Visual inspection alone does not seem sufficiently precise to identify which of these has happened.
Is there a reliable way to test which one is the case? i.e., re-heating it, or trying to remove the coating with a knife, or some other technique which does not require using a microscope?
It is is almost impossible for chocolate to mold as it doesn't have any moisture, required for mold growth.
There are two types of bloom:
Sugar bloom -- wipe the chocolate with a wet finger, it will dissolve.
Fat bloom -- wipe the chococolate with a dry finger, it will feel waxy or greasy
Either tends to look like a chalky coating, not very thick, definitely not fuzzy (like mold).
Correct answer by SAJ14SAJ on December 18, 2020
Chocolate cannot grow mold. Sugar bloom or fat bloom are the only things you'll see happening on chocolate. This only happens when the chocolate is improperly tempered or improperly stored. May not look pretty or taste good, but it's not moldy. You can re-temper it as long as it's just plain chocolate (no filling, nuts etc).
Answered by rena litt on December 18, 2020
Get help from others!