Does a 3-year PhD experience in a non-German EU university count in determining the salary for a TVL-13 (100%) position?

Academia Asked by user126706 on January 2, 2022

I was wondering what paygrade (Stufe) I am likely to get for a position advertized as TVL-13 (100%), knowing that I have a 3-year PhD experience from a EU (non-German) university.

The postition’s title is Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiter in German but Research Engineer in English. Also, if we consider the kind of tasks/responsibilities involved in the position, it involves working in a EU project, which is something I did during the years of my PhD.

All similar posts (linked below) seem to be referring to the case where the PhD work has been conducted in a German university. So, I wanted to check if that wasn’t the case, would chances of getting a higher grade be reduced or not?

I don’t know if this is relevant, but unlike question (3), I paid taxes during my PhD.

Closely-related questions:

(1) Post-doc Salary in Germany

(2) Criteria of experience recognition for “TV-L 13” position

(3) Does PhD work experience (scholarship was tax free) count in Postdoc Salary contract (TVL-13) in Germany

Less closely-related posts:

(4) What is the difference between TV-L E13 and TV-L E14 positions? Is it negotiable?

(5) German postdoc salaries (TV-L E14)

3 Answers

I worked for three different universities in the same Bundesland (state) in Germany. Although they all followed the same general regulations, the interpretation was rather different.

  • one considered my PhD (on a scholarship, so not employed) as relevant experience, one not.
  • one said my Cambridge University (UK) degree was a Fachhochschulabschluss, one considered it as full university degree.
  • one was willing to negotiate (not with me, but with the institute that I should work for), one was not.

So you need to talk to your future boss and to the university that wants to employ you.

Answered by J Fabian Meier on January 2, 2022

If the position is project funded, it may depend on the negotiation with the project leader. If it is a state funded position, then it should be up to the universities' policies. However given your experience, I think is unlikely that they only set you up for the first level/Stufe.

Answered by H S on January 2, 2022

In the end that is something you can only clarify with your potential future employer. However, so far - from the little experience and insights I have - both options can occur: I know people who worked for the public administration before (which in the end is also paid according to the TV-L or TVöD) and started on Stufe (level) 1 - while others with just practical but related job experience started in a higher Stufe (level). So in the end it most likely depends on your institution and its flexibility - as well as your negotiation skills (and the availability of other applicants or the lack of such).

Answered by Marco N. on January 2, 2022

Add your own answers!

Ask a Question

Get help from others!

© 2024 All rights reserved. Sites we Love: PCI Database, UKBizDB, Menu Kuliner, Sharing RPP